Monday, February 28, 2005

Yes, It's Me Again

Hey kiddies, Nick's been bugging me to get something up here for the past week or so, so here I am. But I don't have to be happy about it. In fact, fuck all of you.

Weird as it is, I've been on kind of an emo music trip lately. I just busted out my "War All the Time" CD for the first time since early last summer and I've been rockin' a lot of Thursday, My Chemical Romance, and Jimmy Eat World in the '96 Lumina as of late. JEW's (hehehe) latest, "Futures" is a VERY solid release from a band that I didn't expect an awful lot. It's one of the few CDs in recent memory that has successfully run the gamut from fast-paced, driving punk rock style beats ("Pain," "Nothingwrong") and slower, mellower acoustic and ballad-style tracks ("Drugs or Me," "Night Drive"), all while maintaining a strong sense of coherence, and without any noticeable throwaway tracks.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band is still hitting on all cylinders with me after a few weeks' worth of listens. As a big fan of old-school motown funk music, Robert Randolph is a fantastic throwback and the new elements (keyboards, slide guitar) are a very welcome addition to the formula. Not to mention what a great soloist the guitarist is. Muthafuckas got rhythm.

On another note, I saw "The Grudge" for the second time on Saturday night. The first time I saw that movie, it was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my entire life, and this time, the plot was still balls, but for some reason, this time I was legitimately scared (probably because of the speaker right behind my head that kept croaking in my ear the entire movie, along with the fact that my Fire and Ice date damn near pulled my arm out of the socket during that last scene in the house). The only thing that's really been bothering me is that the ghost of Kayako in "The Grudge" bears an uncanny resemblance to Violet from "The Incredibles." Someone find decent pictures of both of them and I'll prove it to you. Also, make note that I'm talking about Violet at the beginning of the movie, before she becomes a superhero. She looks gothtastic at that part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home